Oct 7, 2013

San Francisco IDSA protest bound (from furlough day 4)

On my way to the security line at seatac just now, the TSA agent saw me coming, did a double take, and said, "WOW, LONG DAY?!"

Not the most flattering statement, but actually pretty funny.

This is day four of my furlough, through this week's government shut down.  I left Montana yesterday in hopes of making it over to Seattle to see my doctor in person for this month's appointment (insurance might pay now, but not over the phone, and my husband works a second job over the summer for an airline, so we get free flights for a little longer).  I made it to Seattle last night and stayed with my aunt.  Then had coffee with a dear friend on my way to see my LLMD (Lyme literate doctor is a phrase to learn if you might have lyme).  We unknowingly selected a coffee shop half a block from her office, which gave us a better amount of time to talk after we both hit traffic on our way to meet.

My doctor spent a great deal of extra time with me.  Most of my care is over the phone, since she is Seattle and I live in Montana (where doctors mostly don't believe in, or at least test and treat for, lyme disease, largely due to restrictive treatment guidelines).  I was too busy at work this fall to take advantage of my husband's temporary free flight benefits to come see her, until the government shut down (Oct 1, 2013). 

So here I am, hopefully en route to the San Francisco IDSA protest rally.  I've written a few posts along the way between flights and such, but typed them on my smart phone, so not all have posted.  
I keep choking up thinking about being around other Lyme patients in real life.  I now know a few coworkers and friends have had Lyme working in the east but were treated quickly.  This makes their experiences with lyme a lot different than mine, though they must now know how easy it is to contract.

The ranger from Under Our Skin will be there!  I've been thinking he was Forest Service, like me, but he may be park service or state.  I'm very much wondering if he kept his job and if he applied for workers comp.  I suppose I could find out on line.

I really hope I make it!  I think I will at least get on this Portland leg... but they are starting announcements, so my fingers are crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment