Jan 12, 2014

Lyme Highlights from 2013, Part Two: Media ~ Lyme Celebrities in Headlines

http://lymedisease.org/news/touchedbylyme/punk-singer.html
In part one of my highlights post, I offered a few links to studies that made an impression on me this past year.  I also diverged into a relatively brief and lite-weight political rant about the lack of sound science used in policy decisions and the lack of defensible inquiry by CDC, IDSA, and uninformed physicians.  

With that out of the way, here's a bit of what I remember most from the news (mainstream media) this year that had to do with lyme (aside from the revised infection rates, which would be too much to add together here).

Media ~ People and Headlines

Early on in my diagnosis, I came across a lot of celebrity names and lists.  I can't say why that was heartening. I'm certainly not glad any of them had to go through this.  But it was the same as with Bell's palsy....it just added a bit more to the sense of solidarity and hope that I was seeking (and finding) on-line. Lyme and memory are not friends, so I can't make a list of this year's most noted lymies from memory.  But here are a few that stood out for me this year.


Kathleen Hanna (90's punk band Bikini Kill)

I was so excited to hear about her lyme story's coverage in the new movie "The Punk Singer" (http://lymedisease.org/news/touchedbylyme/punk-singer.html).  This is a collision of my past and present---Bikini Kill was an "important" band from my adolescent youth, and the punk scene was an important influence during that point in my life.  Two friends from Spokane saw the movie recently, so I was excited, but there were no upcoming showings anywhere near me.  I heard a few days ago that it's streaming on amazon, so I can't wait to see it.  I didn't realize she'd married Adam Horovitz (Beastie Boys) until reading movie reviews and articles.  I can't wait to see this!

 http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/movies/the-punk-singer-movie-review-the-life-and-legacy-of-bikini-kills-kathleen-hanna/2013/12/11/5a1fc01a-60ed-11e3-8beb-3f9a9942850f_story.html



https://plus.google.com/100237602709108615583/posts/NoMCvRigCto
Yolanda Foster (reality tv star)

Yolanda Foster was the name I heard most, and though I'm glad to see her sharing what she's going through, I'm not familiar with her in general yet.  U haven't watched/read much from her, but I intend to....especially regarding new treatments she's undergoing.







http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/12/12/
angeli-vanlaanen-freeskier-lyme-disease-sochi/4005429/
Angeli Vanlaanen (freeskier)

There are videos and articles that are easily searchable, and links have been posted on just about every lyme facebook page I follow, as she has inspired a lot of strong lyme women who've inspired me.  She's pretty and because of all the links, I see her face fairly often, so inspiration and frequency keep her high on the list for 2013.  Thttp://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2013/12/13/freeskier-angeli-vanlaanen-battles-back-from-lyme-disease-to-halfpipe-silver-at-dew-tour/25980/


Daryl Hall (Hall & Oates)

I remember hearing his name on lists of people with lyme, but there were also interviews and headlines this year, so he stands out in my 2013 memories.  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/daryl-hall-stunned-by-hall-and-oates-rock-hall-of-fame-induction-20131216


Jordan Fisher Smith (author, in the documentary Under Our Skin)

I'm not usually star-struck, but was extremely excited to meet him at the San Francisco lyme rally (separate blog post). When I was writing part one of this post, I saw a post form lymedisease.org about Jordan Fisher Smith (from Under Our Skin) being in a reality show in Norway with a dogsled racer (but I haven't tried to watch the whole thing since it wasn't in English or subtitled):

From Norway: Jordan Fisher Smith and dogsled racer Lars Monsen in reality TV show "Lars and the Dogs." Episode covers Lars's battle with LYME DISEASE while competing in long-distance dogsled races. Jordan (who was featured in Under Our Skin) says Norwegian Lyme victims are in far worse shape than American ones.http://tv.nrk.no/serie/monsen-og-hundene/muhu55000514/sesong-2/episode-3
http://www.naturenoir.com/nature_noir_author.html
I'm sure that in each of my highlights posts I will miss enormous, obvious highlights and/or major events and issues from the year.  But that is a fair representation of the limiting effects of lyme on memory and stamina.

Next highlights post (part three): Comprehensive Media Coverage

No comments:

Post a Comment